Sunday, September 28, 2008

The Nigerian is back, posing as an Army Sgt.

We have all heard of the Nigerian Prince and his money. The orphans and their money (again Nigerians), well now they are at it again. This time it is closer to home. I received this e-mail last night and thought I'd share it with you.
Hello,

This mail will definitely be coming to you as a surprise, but i must crave your indulgence to introduce myself to you. I am Sgt. Mark Fitzgerald, an American soldier, currently serving in the third infantry division in Iraq.

I am in Kuwait on duty break. I and my partner, secretly moved some abandoned cash in a mansion belonging to the late president, Saddam Hussein and the total cash is 25million USD. As I write this letter to you, this box is with security firm in cash as I secretly moved it out of Iraq to a security firm for deposit.

You don㦙 have to be afraid of anything as no one else knows about this and everything is safe.

I would be pleased and grateful to you if you could assist us in receivingb this box on our behalf as I will be heading back soon to camp in Iraq to join my Colleagues.Of course, I will give you some money for your efforts. We have limited time now, kindly get back to me immediately. Moving the funds out of here is not going to be a problem as arrangements are being made towards that.

All I want from you is your trust and assurance that if the box gets to you,You can keep it in a safe place until our arrival.
I have to stop here for now, as your response will determine our subsequent correspondence.

Please do not expose us for security reasons.
In God we trust,
Sgt. Mark Fitzgerald,
I receive letters from men and women in Iraq and Afghanistan all the time, so receiving an e-mail from a soldier isn't new. But I had to laugh when I saw that one.

Now the 3rd Infantry Division is currently at its home base in Georgia and I don't think that this Sgt. Mark Fitzgerald (if there ever was one) is on his way back to Iraq. But some gullible person might actually believe this e-mail and get caught up in the scam. I have sent this e-mail on to the proper authorities, but like other scams of this time, it will be very hard to track down.

Some remarkable things about the 3rd Infantry Division:
Created on November 21, 1917, the 3rd saw action at the Marne River during WW 1. It received its nickname then: Rock of the Marne.

It was the only division to fight Germany on all fronts in WWII. Their days in combat numbered 531. From Morocco to Tunisia, from Sicily to Anzio, then to Rome. They came ashore on the Southern France front and fought their way to the Rhone River. They entered and captured Berchtesgaden.

This was Audie Murphy's Division.

You can find out more at the Society of the 3rd Infantry Division, US Army. I hope that you will check them out.


1 comment:

Misfit410 said...

Haha, you should google "Scamming the Scammer", there are some great logs of people who just decided to have fun with these scammers.. some of them are great.

http://www.dumbentia.com/parody_nigerianbrown.html