Hat tip to IDF Spokesperson
Two photos tweeted in the past 24 hours, both allegedly depicting the results of Israeli air strikes in Gaza in recent days, have been proven false.
How many of us has seen this picture?
1. The photo first tweeted by Khulood Badawi (@KhuloodBadawi) and later by Diana Alzeer (@ManaraRam), allegedly depicting a Palestinian girl killed by an Israeli air strike yesterday, was proven to have originated in 2006 and to have had nothing at all to do with Israeli action. This photo is now the top tweet for #Gaza, with over 300 retweets. It is completely false.
It looks very bad for this little girl. Those bad Israelis killing children, bombing with abandon.
Badawi first tweeted the picture at noon on March 10, claiming it was linked to last night’s air strikes. Alzeer tweeted it on March 11, claiming the same.I am a big proponent of recycling but not of old photographs that have been doctored to produce propaganda instead of the truth.
Both were refuted by tweeter Avi Mayer (@avimayer), who found that the photo dated back to 2009 at least.
Further research revealed that the photo was taken in 2006 by Reuters, and that the girl, initially thought to have been killed in an Israeli air strike, was injured by falling off a swing. When confronted with this information, Alzeer stated that the photo was taken last night and forwarded to the press that day.
In fact, the photo was taken by Reuters on August 9, 2006. It was originally released with an incorrect caption, and then corrected a day later:
A Palestinian man carries the body of three year-old Raja Abu Shaban, in Gaza August 9, 2006. The three-year-old girl who had been reported killed by an Israeli air strike in Gaza on Wednesday actually died of an accident, Palestinian medical workers said on Thursday. Workers at Gaza’s Shifa hospital said on August 10, 2006 that the initial mistake over the cause of death appeared to have arisen because the girl’s corpse was brought in at the same time as the bodies of the gunmen. REUTERS/Mohammed Salem (PALESTINIAN TERRITORIES)
Alzeer later published an apology and withdrew her claims. Badawi has yet to respond.
The original tweets, however, have already been picked up by hundreds of others and continue to circulate around the web, despite having been thoroughly disproven.
2. A second photo tweeted Maissam Nablussi (@Nablussi), allegedly showing an aerial strike in Gaza today, was proven to have been in circulation back in 2009, completely unrelated to the current round of violence.
On March 11, Nablussi uploaded a photo to Facebook, claiming it depicted “Gaza under attack today.”
The photo was also tweeted by Gaza Youth Break Out (@GazaYBO), under the same claim.
The photo was revealed to have first appeared on various websites, including that of Reuters, in 2009, following Operation Cast Lead.
After the truth behind the image was revealed, Nablussi blocked access to the Facebook post. She has yet to retract her claim regarding yesterday’s aerial strike. Neither has GazaYBO.
This isn’t the first time people have spread false information about the IDF. Meanwhile, lies are still being tweeted throughout the web.
Share this post to fight misinformation–set the facts straight about what’s going on in Israel and Gaza.
Wondering what else you can do? Spread the truth.
As the Fakistinians keep shelling Israel with rockets (over 300 so far) the IDF has shown great restraint. Instead of targeting civilian centers, the IDF targets the terrorists themselves as seen in these videos:
Pinpoint Targeting of a Hamas Weapon Manufacturing Facility
Rocket Launch Squad Targeted
Targeting of a Popular Resistance Committee Rocket Launching Site
This site is at El-Atatra
Instead of telling the truth, the Fakistinians and their supporters are lying to garner sympathy.
Help the Israelis under fire. Tweet this and be free to steal this in its entirety.