Shar'ia literally, it means "path," or "path to water". but it is much more than that. It is a system of religious laws that each and every Muslim must follow in order to achieve Paradise. These laws are based on the Koran and Hadith, both written in the 7th century and reflect the values of those times.
Five major schools of sharia developed after the death of the Prophet Mohammed and during the Middle Ages--four in the Sunni tradition and one in the Shiite tradition. A school consists of a guild, or group of scholars, that developed specific interpretations of Islamic law; over the centuries, its precedents became legally binding. Muslims in different geographical regions favored different sharia schools, a practice that continues to this day.
Middle Eastern countries of the former Ottoman Empire favor Hanafi school doctrine, while North African countries prefer Maliki doctrine; Indonesia and Malaysia favor Shafi'i doctrine; Saudi Arabia adheres to Hanbali doctrine; and Iran follows the Shiite Jaafari school.
Most Middle Eastern countries continue to incorporate some traditional sharia into their legal codes, especially in the area of personal-status law, which governs marriage, divorce, and inheritance. In other areas of the law, such as the criminal code, most Islamic nations have attempted to limit the application of traditional sharia, replacing it either with secular legislation or with laws characterized as modern interpretations of sharia. Iran and Saudi Arabia are exceptions--they claim to fully implement sharia in all areas of the law. In general, each nation's legal code is unique and reflects a variety of historical and cultural influences, experts say. Many Middle Eastern legal codes, for example, have their roots in the Napoleonic law system and the Ottoman Empire.
There is a move here in the United States by CAIR and other Muslim organizations to introduce Shar'ia into the legal code of the United States. In cities such as Dearborn, Michigan Shar'ia has already been written into the laws there. A clear violation of the 1st Amendment of the US Constitution.
Some religiously and ethnically diverse nations that used a federal governmental model--including Indonesia, Malaysia, and Nigeria--allow states or provinces the option of applying aspects of sharia. Because of its adaptability, this federal model for sharia"may well be an important model going forward."
Knowing that the majority of Americans or British citizens would oppose any introduction of Shar'ia law, groups like CAIR or Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) use stealth laws to weaken their nation's opposition to Shar'ia.
Already we see the results of their actions in Shar'ia compliant financing, Footbaths in airports, and recently the removal of Labor Day as a holiday by Tyson Foods. These practices MUST stop, be reversed and the natural order of our nations be returned to us.
This petition, addressed to the US Congress, was written by Dr. Wafa Sultan, a vocal opponent of Shar'ia Law and a vocal opponent of Islam.
Sultan was born to a Sunni Muslim family in Syria. She now resides in Los Angeles, California. She emigrated to the United States in 1989, and is now a naturalized citizen. She allegedly arrived in California with her husband Moufid (now David) in the late 80s on a tourist visa and later they managed to get US citizenship on account of an amnesty law for farmers, through a Mexican lady who worked as a farm hand. Sultan has become notable since the September 11, 2001 attacks for her participation in Middle East debates. She is a psychiatrist and an out spoken opponent of Islam.
To: U.S. Congress
Stop Sharia from becoming official in the United States
Sharia has many elements. Some of these may differ in law and practice from country to country
Samples of some of the Sharia family law edicts include:
- The value of a woman's life is one half of the life of a man.
- The testimony of two women is equal to the testimony of one man
- Daughters get half the inheritance the sons get.
- A woman does not have the right to divorce her husband
- A man can divorce his wife any time he wishes and without her knowledge.
- Men are allowed to marry four wives and as many wives as they can buy.
- Women can not travel, work, go to school, or even leave the house without their husband's permission.
- A woman must live where her husband decides.
- Mothers do not get the custody of their children when their husbands divorce them.
- Husbands can take the baby away from the mother and have another woman feed and raise the infant.
- A widow does not get the custody of her children after the death of her husband. The children will be given to the paternal grand parents of relatives, and the mother has no right of visitation.
- If the husband has no family, the community clergy takes the custody of the woman's children including the family money and belongings.
- In the case of a man's death, the wife will be left without her children, home and property.
- In the case of inheritance for the old wife, mother of grown children, she gets one eighth of the value of the building of the house, not the land that the house is sitting on.
- Marriage between a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man is forbidden and invalid, while a Muslim man can marry a non-Muslim woman.
- If a Muslim woman is raped she cannot bring the rapist to justice without four witnesses to testify in favor of her claim, otherwise she would be punished for adultery
- Muslim men are allowed to beat their wives to discipline them.
Do we want to allow the application of this harsh class of citizenship on our current liberal democratic system? If a family Sharia law would be recognized by our legislative body wouldn't that negate the principal of our current human rights?
We hereby ask members of the US Congress to takes steps through resolutions or laws that would prevent Sharia and Sharia practices from becoming official US legal provisions anywhere in the United States.
Please sign it here. For those in the United Kingdom, you can sign the same petition to the Parliament by going here.
Together we can start to keep our nations from becoming like Dearbornistan, Londanistan, or any of the backward nations that comprise the 57 Islamic states.
Feel free to cross post this article in any part.
I leave you with this video by Wafa Sultan that I posted on Friday, 8 August 2008.