Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day round up

At one time I was a Democrat. Yes it is true. And I was even a delegate to the 1988 Democratic Convention. I witnessed the Convention from an angle that very few Americans get to see. I felt the energy of over 5,000 people wash over me. From the moment the first gavel came down, till the end of the convention, the level of energy and excitement was continuous. I am sure that this same phenomenon happened at the Republican Convention. It happens when a group of people gather for a common purpose, common cause. You see feel it at sporting events, concerts and other public gatherings.


Yet on Monday, there was none of that excitement, none of that energy, no true spark from the delegates in Denver. There were moments of excitement such as when Senator Ted Kennedy spoke or when Michelle Obama gave her usual speech about growing up in the Southside of Chicago.

Party conventions are no longer used to garner the nomination, that is usually decided months ahead of time. They are used as a 4-day infomercial to promote their candidate for President and introduce either distinguished members of the party (such as former President, well-known Senators and Governors) or to introduce to the nation the next generation of the party. Barack Hussein Obama got his start nationally as the keynote speaker 4 years ago. It is important for the party to remember that the first day is the most important day. It is the day that their energy and excitement levels are shown to the nation. It is the day that the nation sees the party energized for the election battle to come. It is vital for the party to be united on that day.

On Monday, we didn't see any of that in Denver. What we saw was a party trying to unify itself. A party without the energy or excitement needed to bring their candidate victory in November. A party without true direction.

What we saw is a party on the verge of melting down. And for the upcoming election, that is bad for the Democrats, but a good sign for John McCain.



4 comments:

Right Truth said...

I watched part of Michelle's speech, nothing new as far as I'm concerned. I don't care for someone like her preaching to me...

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth and
Right Truth Two

WomanHonorThyself said...

What we saw is a party on the verge of melting down..sure hope youre right girl!!!

Grandpa-Old Soldier said...

I watched as much of her speech as I could handle, and I started to feel a little ill. I just can't see how anyone could see her as the First Lady of America. My wife just go back from the Philippines and the Obama's are a joke over there.

Maggie Thornton said...

You're right. Conventions are an infomercial.

The Montana governor is on the podium right now. He's an awful speaker.

Nice trip down memory lane.

Maggie