That is what we have discovered to our horror today when Pvt. Nasser Jason Abdo (Who was granted Conscientious Objector Status in June 2011) has been planning to kill his fellow soldiers at Fort Hood, Texas.
At least one U.S. military serviceman has been arrested after raising concerns over another alleged plot to attack Fort Hood, Fox News has learned exclusively.Abdo went AWOL after being charged with the possession of child pornography:
Abdo was allegedly found with weapons and explosives at the time of his arrest, a senior Army source confirms to Fox News. He was arrested at around 2 p.m. Wednesday after someone called authorities to report a suspicious individual.
Bob Jenkins, a Fort Campbell spokesman, told Fox News that Abdo was also being investigated for child pornography found on his government computer.
Abdo went AWOL on July 4. On the eve of his first deployment to Afghanistan -- after only one year in the Army -- Abdo applied for conscientious objector status. It was denied by his superiors at Ft. Campbell but later overturned by the Assistant Deputy Secretary of the Army review board.
"We are aware at this time that Killeen Police Department arrested a soldier yesterday,"
Another source told Fox News that two other U.S. soldiers also raised possible concerns.
It remains unclear if any possible second plot to attack Ft. Hood was merely aspirational in nature.
"We are aware at this time that Killeen Police Department arrested a soldier yesterday," a Fort Hood official said in a statement Thursday. "The incident leading to the arrest did not occur on Fort Hood and the soldier was not a Fort Hood based soldier. At this time, there has been no incident at Fort Hood. We continue our diligence in keeping our force protection at appropriate levels."
On Nov. 5, 2009, Major Nidal Hasan, an American Army officer, carried out a shooting attack on the Fort Hood base in Texas that killed 13 people and wounded 30 others.
Hasan, a military psychiatrist, was arraigned on July 20 and is currently standing trial. His civilian lawyer withdrew from the case as it began.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -Unlike Nidal Hasan, Abdo isn't working alone. He was discovered with weapons and explosives. Other are involved and are being investigated. If Abdo had been able to get onto Fort Hood with his explosives, his weapons, he could have done a massacre on base that would been more destructive and with more casualties than the horror that Nidal Hasan did.
The Army says a Muslim soldier from Fort Campbell who won conscientious objector status but then was charged with possessing child pornography has gone AWOL.
Spokesman Rick Rzepka said Wednesday that Pfc. Naser Abdo has been absent without leave since the July 4th weekend.
Abdo, a 21-year-old infantry soldier, had applied for conscientious objector status last year saying his Muslim beliefs prohibited his service in any war.
Army officials recommended he be discharged as a conscientious objector but that was delayed by the criminal charge. Rzepka said a hearing last month recommended Abdo face a court-martial on the pornography charge.
Abdo's attorney James Branum said his client is safe but declined to say more about his status.
Abdo now also faces additional charges related to being AWOL.
It would have happened but for an alert citizen.